Thursday, July 8, 2010

Field Trip #3 Historic Cottage/Preserve




The field trip to Estero Bay Historic Cottage and Mantanzas Pass Preserve was enjoyable and educational. I was able to learn about the Estuarine environment and its characteristics as well as well as the different species of Mangroves that thrive in that location.


Mantanzas website: http://www.leeparks.org/facility-info/facility-details.cfm?Project_Num=0202


In 1995, a group of concerned citizens noticed that the rate of development in Lee County had increased substainally and time was running short in order to preserve the underveloped natural areas. This group took it upon themselves to take this cause to the local government and began lobbying for a county-based land acquisition program in order to protect these natural areas. Hence, how the Conservation 20/20 Program was established.

Their main goals, as listed on their website, are to:

- Protect and preserve natural wildlife habitat
-Protect and preserve water quality and supply
- Protect developed lands from flooding
- Provide resource-based recreation

It was my first time learning about this group of environmentally concerned citizens and I give them much credit for their hard efforts and work.

Since I had not been to any other Preserves besides this one, I decided to earn my volunteer hours here for the course requirement. I thought Mantanzas Pass Preserve was an interesting place I wouldn't ordinarily visit and wanted to learn more about the area and it's surroundings. It is located right on Fort Myers beach and I was able to learn a lot of history regarding this particular Preserve and the people who help keep it up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment