Thursday, July 8, 2010

Field Trip #4 ECHO

http://www.echonet.org/content/historynet.org/content/history

ECHO, which stands for Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, was one of my favorite field trips. I found it both captivating and motivational to learn about more eco-friendly ways to grow crops. The farm grows plants entirely from recycled materials. Not only does this farm encourage sustainability for citizens, but it also provides farmers with additional information on eco-friendly ways to produce and consume crops. Mostly, farmers from less forunate areas take part in learning about the farm and areas for their own improvement. It is a resourceful and beneficial farm to have for agricultural knowledge or training.

Growing up in New York, my mother planted several flower and plant gardens around my house. I used to help her spread mulch on the garden and learned its not only for decorative purposes, but helps prevent weeds from growing and enriches the soil. I also learned how to grow a flower like most elementary schoolers in a styrofoam cup with soil. However, my grandfather was in charge of keeping the grounds at the famous restaurant called Tavern on the Green, located at Central Park. I feel my mother passed down his environmental knowledge to me. I could definitely grow my own food either by gardening or taking skills I learned from ECHO and using them productively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeFWUcKqM5o <-Video on ECHO


Source:http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/manhattan/centralpark/tavern/index.htm(^also includes more scenic pictures of Tavern on the Green's landscape)

No comments:

Post a Comment